Sunday, October 01, 2006

Continually Astounded

I am continually astounded by a number of things. It is always unexpected and usually, although not always, refreshing (sometimes this world can be an amazingly ugly place.) Fortunately, my most recent astoundations (quite certain this is not a real word) were quite refreshing.

Astounding experience #1: I spent my weekend on a retreat for a leadership development program of which I'm a part. We did an activity where we had to come up with a vision statement. We wrote this statment on a piece of paper and placed the papers around the room. We were each given some sticky notes to write encouragements on others' visions. I knew that there were some Christians at this conference, but it was not a Christian event. As I read these visions, I was overwhelmed at the number of them that were based on following God's will for their lives and living to serve him. They were real, heart-felt yearnings to live a Holy life, not simply lip service. It was humbling. These people will be leaders in the communities and beyond and they desire to serve the Lord.

Astounding experience #2: I met my mom today in a mountain town to exchange my sister (she went home this weekend from uni.) I had been whining earlier in the week that I had wanted to go to the mountains and see the fall colors, this trip allowed me the opportunity and took me through a part of the great state of Colorado that I hadn't been to before. As I was driving, I came around a bend and caught a glimpse of snow-dusted mountains in the distance. Absolutely breath-taking. I descended the mountain and this contrasting landscape unfolded before me. There was the huge, flat valley before me that went on for miles and miles. I could see the path of this highway I was on streach out before me and at the end of all this were those mountains I had caught a glimpse of before. Colorado has a very diverse landscape, but this caught me so unaware.

It seems as though just as I become a little complacent in my wonder and awe of God, he opens my eyes to these marvels of his creation, sometimes as if for the first time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home