Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Cease Striving

Sometimes it takes a slight change to create fresh perspective on something so familiar. I recently came across a translation of the well known verse—Pslams 46:10. It’s most well-known translation is “Be still and know that I am God.” I’ve always liked this particular verse is Psalms. I like being still, although I probably don’t do so as much as I should or as much as I think I do. Nonetheless, it gives off a wonderful sense of peace. All you have to know is that God is. The New American Standard translation I discovered reads “Cease striving…”.This different translation gave new meaning to “being still” though.

Being still connotes that it’s somewhat of a temporary thing. At least that’s how I’ve always thought about it. You’re going along and then you’re still for awhile contemplating God, then you resume your daily activities. But cease striving. That’s different. I imagine it as more of a life style. Cease striving after all things worldly; all of the money and power and superficial beauty and possessions and status and evil things of the world. Cease striving for all of this rubbish. It has no real meaning or place in our lives. “Cease” is a strong and forceful word. It’s often used as a command, not a mere request. Stop, now, immediately, completely and fully. STOP. Instead strive for God and all things heavenly and worthy and holy and good. Strive for a godly life and think of Him only and always. Let Him be the only thing after which you’re striving. It seems an appropriate message for Advent.

4 Comments:

Blogger Aly :) said...

hello my lovely!! that blog on 'Be still' really really really spoke to me!!! God is awesome the way he does that!! anyhoo love you lots HAPPY HOLIDAY! xx

7:28 PM  
Blogger Dish said...

I enjoy reading your blogs but you don't seem to churn out them out as often as your readership would like thus I am tagging you to roll the poverbial ball on a little - http://dishdosh.blogspot.com/2006/12/tagathon-shmagathon.html

4:59 PM  
Blogger michie said...

thanks for that. was lovely to chat with you on the phone the other night x

4:20 PM  
Blogger Diana said...

It was good chating with you too! I'm glad you came home when you did.

3:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home